Monday, August 31, 2015

Simple Protein Shake {Paleo}

I've been doing CrossFit for just over a year now - and I've been loving it! There's nothing like pushing myself to new heights at each and every session. Plus, the community is just awesome. But I'm not here to talk about CrossFit, I'm here to talk about food.



You see, when I started out, I didn't really pay attention to what I ate before or after my workouts. That worked out for me for awhile, but then I started noticing a lack of energy during my workouts, and problems digesting my dinner afterward. I started snacking before and after, and things were better. I would usually have about a third of a can of tuna with avocado and plantain chips before, and a banana after. I would usually have to eat at least two hours before going to CrossFit, and sometimes the banana would have to wait a bit as well.

Lots of experimenting later, I ended up eating "banana eggs" before and after CrossFit, and it wasn't so bad. But then I got the idea to blend them up into a drink... and that, my friends, was the holy grail. I could drink my banana eggs 15-30 minutes before and directly after my workout, no problem. I had energy throughout my workout. I digested my evening meal perfectly. All was right in my pre- and post- workout fueling... except the texture.

It was just so thick! 

I then decided to order egg white protein powder and mix up my shake that way. And it was perfect! Then I thought about adding a teaspoon of cacao powder... and it was even better.

So, feel free to make the one you prefer and works best for you - the whole-foods version, or the protein powder version. I mix this up and drink half before and half after each CrossFit session. Your needs may be different, so listen to your body and your experience to do what's best for you!

Simple Protein Shake

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cup water
  • 1 banana
  • 2 cooked scrambled eggs OR 3 scoops of egg white protein powder
  • *Optional: 1 scoop collagen peptides 
  • *Optional: 1 tsp cacao powder
Method:
  1. Blend everything together using a high speed blender or an immersion blender and drink before and after your workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment