Monday, August 10, 2015

Rhubarb Peach Crumble {Paleo, AIP}

Boy, it's been a long time since I've posted anything to this blog! First, I was busy moving {into a house - bye bye apartment!}, then I was gone on a month-long vacation to visit my family in America {a trip I only get to do once every two years}, and most recently I bought a puppy {and have been following her around the house making she she doesn't go}. But just because I wasn't posting doesn't mean I wasn't testing out new and delicious recipes!


Like this one... Rhubarb Peach Crumble. My new backyard is far from being well cultivated, but there is a rhubarb plant - and I recently harvested quite a few stalks from it! Now I do have my beloved Roasted Rhubarb & Sweet Potatoes recipe, but it leans more towards the savory side of things and I really wanted to enjoy my rhubarb with a bit more sweetness this time... Then, the hubster informed me that our peaches were very ripe and needed to be eaten. A light bulb went off in my head: I would use the sweetness of the peaches to balance out the tartness of the rhubarb. 

A crumble was therefor in order, and I got to work making it. As I was doing so, the hubster grumbled and moaned {he does this often when I'm experimenting with paleo desserts} and insisted over and over again that he did not like rhubarb. At all. He wasn't even going to try it because he hated rhubarb so much. I continued baking, ignoring him. 

When it came time to eat the crumble, I died and went to crumble heaven. It.Was.Good. So good, eve the hubster ventured a bite... then another.. and then proceeded to eat about a fourth of the crumble directly from the baking dish on the counter! What I'm trying to say is, everyone will like this - it's #hubsterapproved! That's a very rare thing indeed!

I'll stop blabbing though and let you taste for yourself. This crumble is nut-free, seed-free, grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, vegan... It's practically for everyone!

Rhubarb Peach Crumble

Ingredients For Fruit Filling:

  • 3 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped 
  • 3 cups fresh peaches, chopped (about 5 peaches)
  • 3 tbsp cassava flour
  • 2 tbsp granulated sugar of choice
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (omit for AIP)
Ingredients for Topping:

  • 1/2 cup cassava flour
  • 1/2 cup coconut flakes
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar of choice
  • 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 6 tbsp room temp or cooler coconut oil
Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 400°F {200°C}
  2. In a large, oven-safe baking dish, mix together all the filling ingredients and spread out evenly.
  3. In a medium bowl, mix together the first five ingredients for the topping, then cut in the coconut oil until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the fruit filling.
  4. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned. Allow to cool slightly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment