Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Thick & Creamy Hazelnut Coffee Creamer {Paleo}

Whew! It's sure been awhile since I've posted a recipe here! I've been busy spending time with my family since I only get to see them every two years. And part of that time has been spent trying to cook up everything they request in an effort to show them that paleo is delicious and worth sticking to (my parents have been eating more-or-less paleo since January, but complain that it's "boring" - I think I'm proving them wrong!).


One of the requests I got was from my momma who is a regular coffee addict and used to drown her coffee in Coffee Mate's hazelnut creamer - but wanted a paleo version. Paleo hazelnut coffee creamer? One that was thick and creamy and full of hazelnut flavor? Okay Momma, I'll see what I can do...

I turned to the creamy goodness of egg nog for inspiration and blended canned coconut milk with eggs, then flavored and sweetened it a bit. It was delicious, but it wasn't thick. I decided to try cooking it over low heat to thicken it up - and ended up with my thick and creamy paleo hazelnut coffee creamer.

And what did Momma have to say about it? She said it was the best cup of coffee she'd had since January - and proceeded to use up nearly half the batch in one evening! I think that means it's good :)

So give this recipe a try if you're missing coffee creamer. Feel free to personalize it as well - try maple or vanilla flavoring instead of hazelnut for example. Leave a comment below if you recreate any of your old favorites.

Thick & Creamy Hazelnut Coffee Creamer

Ingredients:
  • 1 can of full-fat coconut milk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 tsp hazelnut extract
  • 0-4 tbsp maple syrup (more or less depending on desired sweetness)
Method:
  1. Whisk together all the ingredients.
  2. Heat over low-medium heat, whisking often to prevent the bottom from scorching.
  3. Bring to a gentle simmer and whisk continuously until thickened.
  4. If necessary, blend using a high-speed blender or an immersion blended until smooth (sometimes the thickened milk clumps).
  5. Store in the fridge for a few days.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good Meg! I can relate to seeing family every 2 years :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend anyone to take a look at this. I feel it’s just a steal. It really is one of the best paleo recipe books we’ve come across!
    This blog is a great blog and great knowledge . I think it would be even better if it joined with knowledge in this blog .
    I suggest you follow this link to the video to guide you. THE PALEO GRUBS BOOK

    ReplyDelete