Wednesday, December 10, 2014

AIP Cinnamon Cake Rolls {AIP, Paleo}

AIP Cinnamon Cake Rolls

When I was young, we used to buy those tins of cinnamon rolls that were all ready for the oven and eat them nearly every weekend.

Then we realized how much better homemade cinnamon rolls were and that making them, while time consuming, was actually quite simple. Our weekly store-bought cinnamon rolls turned into weekly homemade cinnamon rolls - and it was a beautiful thing!

Then I moved to Belgium and decided to make a batch of cinnamon rolls for my in-laws. I decided to do this during winter. In a house that was only heated as little as possible. My cinnamon rolls didn't rise, even though they were set to do so in front of the fire, and I was so disappointed by this failure that I didn't attempt to make them again for the next seven years!

Then the other day I wanted cinnamon rolls. I'm currently in stage one of my AIP reintroductions though, so this was going to be a bit more difficult than just following a paleo-fied cinnamon roll recipe. I was going to have to get creative.


Steps to make the AIP Cinnamon Cake Rolls

I threw a few things together, adjusting as I went and ended up with something that looked like a cinnamon roll... but had the texture of a very moist cake. {I know so many of you hate the word moist, but this is very moist.} I therefore called these Cinnamon Cake Rolls. So, while they were a very yummy treat, they didn't quite measure up to the cinnamon rolls of my youth. Give the a try and let me know what you think :)

AIP Cinnamon Cake Rolls Close Up
AIP Cinnamon Cake Rolls 

Ingredients:
  • 350g mashed Japanese sweet potatoes
  • 175g green plantain
  • 1/2 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 2-3 tbsp granulated sugar of choice
  • 1/2 tbsp cinnamon

Method:

  1. Mix together the potatoes, plantain, flours, and salt.
  2. On a sheet of plastic wrap or parchment paper, press the dough out in a rectangle, about 1/4 of an inch thick.
  3. Brush the dough with the melted coconut oil. Mix together the sugar and the cinnamon, then sprinkle the mixture onto the oil.
  4. Using the plastic wrap to help, roll the dough up tightly, starting at the widest end to make a long log. Cover the log with the plastic wrap and allow to chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
  5. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
  6. Remove the log from the fridge and unwrap. Cut into individual rolls using dental floss or a very sharp knife. Gently reshape if necessary.
  7. Place the rolls on a baking dish and bake for 30-45 minutes, or until slightly browned on the edges. 
  8. Allow to cool 10 minutes before handling so the dough will firm up. 

If desired, serve the rolls topped with icing. {I used this AIP frosting recipe by Mickey Trescott.}

2 comments:

  1. I really want to make these today... They look so dam good. I need to go to Kausar, I have no gree plantain! Also, who many plantains (+-) is 175gr? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was about 1 big one... but you've already made these :P

      Delete