Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Roasted Rhubarb & Sweet Potatoes {for those times you have rhubarb but can't have dessert}


This, you guys, is delicious. And it is so simple, I'm kind of ashamed of even calling this a recipe. Kind of. If calling this a recipe and posting it to my blog will get you to taste this yummy side, I'm all for it.

This dish came about as I was searching online for savory ways of eating rhubarb. Every so-called savory recipe I found still required some sort of added sweetener, and since I'm doing a Whole30, I just don't do added sweeteners for the moment.

The recipes I did find were mostly for sauces to serve over meats. There really wasn't much else to be found. I did stumble across a couple mentions of a traditional, lentil-based meal which had chunks of white potato and slices of leek, among other ingredients. That's what originally gave me the idea for this creation - but I didn't expect it to taste so good!


I used the common orange-fleshed sweet potatoes readily found in stores, but you could certainly substitute any variety and have this turn out just fine. Heck, you could even use regular white potatoes, though I find the slightly sweet potato, which stays firm, quite nicely balances out the acidic taste of the rhubarb, itself cooking down into a sort of saucy puree.

This could be a three-ingredient recipe, as it tastes great plain, but a touch of salt and pepper really amp up the flavor. I'm sure a sprinkle of cinnamon would send this side flying out of the park! However you eat this sugar free dish, you're bound to enjoy it! {PS - this is also AIP and Whole30 compliant!}

Lucky for me, what's pictured above are my leftovers - that means I get to enjoy this beauty tomorrow as well! This would be a great dish to make ahead of time and reheat throughout the week. 

Roasted Rhubarb & Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp fat of choice
  • 1 large sweet potatoes
  • 1 large stem of rhubarb
  • Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180° C {350°F} and grease an oven-safe dish with FOC.
  2. Wash and chop the sweet potato into bite sized pieces. Add to dish.
  3. Wash and slice the rhubarb into small pieces. Add the dish.
  4. Mix vegetables to coat in FOC, then bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked.
  5. Serve hot with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment