Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Taco Seasoning {AIP, Whole30}


I wanted loaded nachos the other day. I happen to be in the middle of an AIP Whole30 "cleanse" as well, so these nachos needed to be compliant to both those regimes... the hardest part would be the meat seasonings...

A huge part of Mexican food (even fake American remakes such the loaded nachos I was craving...) revolves around nightshades: tomatoes, peppers, cumin... This AIP+nacho thing was going to be harder than I though...

I searched all over the Internet for an AIP compliant seasoning mix. There weren't any to be found. There were many nightshade-free mixes to choose from, but what about those on the AIP diet? Or those who can't have nightshades or seeds?

I took my nose into the kitchen, along with a list of AIP friendly foods, and got to work.


I mixed and smelled until it smelled right. Then I blitzed everything together in my blender to create a powdered spice mix. Then I made taco meat with it. You know what? It's delicious. It's even hubster approved - which is a very rare thing indeed!

You might want to double or triple this recipe to make even more. It's always nice to have ready-made spice mixes on hand. Mix some up today - and check out my loaded nachos recipe if you're into that sort of thing as well!

AIP Taco Seasoning

Ingredients:
  • 4 tbsp minced dried onion
  • 1 tbsp dried garlic
  • 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp Himalaya salt
  • 1/8 tsp powdered cloves
  • 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
  • *optional* 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Method:
  1. Mix everything together well. If desired, blend into a powder using a high-powered blender.
  2. Store in an air-tight container and use as you would use traditional taco seasoning.
*Black pepper is a nightshade, and is therefore not permitted on AIP. It is, however, part of the phase one reintroductions and is well-tolerated by most. Omit the black pepper initially, but feel free to add it in once you have successfully reintroduced it as it does add a bit of kick to the spice mix.

18 comments:

  1. THANK YOU for this recipe!!! I've been doing AIP for several months and I'm seeing no progress with my health so I'm getting discouraged. If I was feeling better I think it would be easier to continue this restrictive diet. I have been craving Mexican food like crazy and tempted to add seed and nightshade spices to a meal, to hell with the consequences! This spice mix is great, I was so excited to eat a meal that didn't taste like bone broth I almost cried :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made my entire week with this comment! Thank you so much - and I'm so glad my spice mix has improved your menu! I wish you all the best of luck with your healing. AIP is often a long journey, but one that is very much worth it. Stay healthy! :)

      Delete
  2. I used to LOVE taco salad when I ate paleo and have gone without for 8 months. Will be trying this tonight! I quadrupled the recipe because I have that much faith in you :). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make my heart smile! I how you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Just so you know, black pepper is not AIP. It's still a nightshade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are completely right - I created this recipe when I first went AIP and totally overlooked that. I'll correct that now - thanks for pointing out my mistake!

      Delete
    2. Black pepper is not a nightshade. I've been nightshade free for years. It might be irritating to the gut, but not a nightshade.

      Delete
  4. As far as I've researched black peppercorns are a different family than nightshades (unlike peppers) and are safe for AIP. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has been a topic of discussion lately... Whatever it is, proceed with caution while listening to your body, right? I personally have no problem with black pepper, but I think I'll leave the warning up so I'm in line with other blogs. Thanks though! I hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
    2. Just a technicality: black pepper is not a nightshade, and the reason it is not permitted on AIP is because it’s a seed. AIP eliminates seeds, grains, beans etc of all kinds.

      Delete
  5. Also thank you so much for this seasoning I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this recipe! I CRAVE Mexican food and flavor and this is something I will make right away! Also, for everyone's information (I used to be confused about this also) pepper is perfectly fine for the AIP lifestyle. It is NOT part of the nightshade family. When different websites refer to eliminating peppers they mean the green pepper variety as well as some of those hot peppers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You rock! Regardless of the verdict on black pepper, I'm eager to try some of my Mexicanesque meals again. Knocking out taco seasoning knocked probably a good dozen meals out of our regular rotation that would otherwise be safe or easily tweakable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had tacos every Wednesday for four years...and Thursdays before that for eight years...not toention the countless times of nachos. I started aip today and was trying to piece together something to have on taco night. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had tacos every Wednesday for four years...and Thursdays before that for eight years...not toention the countless times of nachos. I started aip today and was trying to piece together something to have on taco night. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad I found this, sadly have to take the garlic and onion out so it won't taste completely like tacos but close enough I'm hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How much for one pound ground meat? Can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I landed here looking for a taco seasoning that didn't have chili powder because I ran out. I needed to fnd an AIP compliant recipe anyway, because I want to go back on AIP, so this recipe was great to find.

    My take is that it was a good base recipe to tinker with. I like the addition of clove and cinnamon, but was surprised clove is AIP compliant. I always thougtht it was a "no", but maybe Dr K's AIP program I followed differs from Ballantyne's AIP.

    I put the seasoning mixture in my blendtec because my dried onion pieces were quite large. I didn't measure exactly, but it seemed the recipe yielded about 4+ tablespoons. I use 2 TB per lb of meat. I added the seasoning to my meat and felt it was lacking salt, so I added a bit more to the meat. The flavor profile seems to be lacking something else. It could be that I needed to add more seasoning, maybe more like 2.5 or 3 TB of seasoning? I was in a hurry to get dinner done, so in the end I added a dash of cumin and a dash of smoked paprika since I'm not doing AIP yet. That fixed the blandness. The recipe isn't a complete miss. It just seems to be missing something my tastebudes really wanted. Like I said, I think it's a great starting point to play around with, and I think I'll use this as a base recipe and tinker with it some more until I get it more to my liking. :)

    ReplyDelete