Saturday, June 21, 2014

Nut Free is the Way to Be {Fluffy Coconut Pancakes}


I have an amazing pancake recipe that isn't SWYPO at all - it tastes and looks exactly like "real" pancakes should! They cook up real high and fluffy, have a deliciously crunchy outside and absorb maple syrup like no other!


The only problem: nuts.

My amazing fluffy pancake recipe uses almond flour. If your tummy has no problem digesting copious amounts of nut flours, then that is the recipe for you!


If, like me, your digestive tract prefers that you avoid consuming more than 5 nuts in any one sitting, read on...

I wasn't going to to settle for pancake-ish pancakes, just because I try to avoid nuts. I wanted the real deal, fluffy on the inside, crunchy on the outside perfect pancakes I had grown up eating. I got to work playing in the kitchen - and two tries later, I present to you my Fluffy Coconut Pancakes.


You can go the savory route and serve these with a side of bacon and a generous dollop of ghee, just omit the vanilla in the batter.

You can also go the sweet route like I chose to do - I topped these beauties with ghee and a drizzle of homemade cherry jam {a coworker made this especially for me - and it's so good!}. Of course though, I still served it with a side of bacon :p


This recipe makes 8 palm-sized pancakes, which I found to be the perfect amount for me. Feel free to cut the recipe in half for fewer pancakes, or to double/triple/... it for a larger crowd.

Fluffy Coconut Pancakes

Ingredients:

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1 heaping tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp tapioca flour
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • Fat of choice for frying
Method:
  1. Blend together the egg, milk, baking powder, flours, oil, cinnamon and salt.
  2. Heat FOC in a frying pan over medium-low heat.
  3. Slowly pour 1/8 of the batter into the pan (about 2 tbsp or 1/8 of a cup). 
  4. Flip when the bottom is lightly browned, about 2 or 3 minutes.
  5. Continue cooking until the second side is lightly browned, about a minute.
  6. Plate the pancake and repeat the prices with the remaining batter.
  7. Serve hot and drizzled with your favorite pancake toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment